Consultation Booking

Switzerland Student Visa Policy

Every year, Switzerland welcomes many international students. This country is the ideal study abroad place for those who want to study and work abroad. To study in Switzerland, you need to apply for a Student Visa from the Government of this country.

Below, we will provide the necessary information that you need to know for your visa application

What types of student visas are there in Switzerland?

There are two types of visas depending on the purpose of study for international students:

  • Visa Type C (Schengen Visa): Visa allows entry and short-term stay up to 90 days within half a year, for short-term study abroad such as language course study, tourism, sightseeing.
  • Visa type D (National Visa): Visa allows long-term stay over 90 days for those who want to study, work and live permanently.


If you are not part of the EU (European Union)/EFTA (European Free Trade Association), you can apply for a visa at the Swiss Embassy or Consulate in your home country. Processing time is about 10-15 days for short-term visas and about 8-10 weeks for long-term visas. Therefore, it is best to apply for a visa at least 6 months before your intended date of arrival in Switzerland.

For the documents required to apply for a Visa, you must provide the original with 3 notarized copies of it. Documents must be translated into English or one of the national languages ​​of Switzerland such as French, German, Italian.

Type C Visa (Schengen Visa)

Documents required when applying for a Swiss Visa:

  • One Visa Application Form: including the necessary personal information (link of the application
  • Photo: Two photographs must be taken within the last 3 months.
  • Passport: Passport valid for only 10 years and must be valid for at least 3 months from the intended departure from Switzerland.
  • Proof of flight itinerary: You must provide a clear return flight itinerary (departure and return date) including airline ticket evincing the booking date, airline, and airline number. As well as clearly stating the trip itinerary such as destination, where will be, what to do, ...
  • Health insurance: You must prove that you have purchased insurance for your Schengen Visa before travelling to Switzerland. Insurance minimizes to at least 33,344 CHF (equivalent to 824,256,724 VND). Buying insurance will help you pay for medical services in the event of an accident such as an illness, accident.
  • Proof of accommodation: You must provide information about where you will stay during your stay in Switzerland, such as the address where you book your room/accommodation, a rental agreement. In addition, you need a letter of confirmation from the school you want to attend. Once accepted, the school will send you a Certificate of Enrollment or an invitation to join their course. This letter must include the course name, course duration and contact information for the school.
  • Financial proof: Proof that you can afford the costs of studying in Switzerland by bank statement for the last 3 months and must own at least 100 CHF/day (about 247.1979 VND) in the bank account.
  • Proof of visa fee paid: CHF 90 (approximately VND 2.224.781) for adults (over 12 years old) and CHF 45 (approximately VND 1.112.390) for children (aged 6 - 12 years old).

Type D Visa (National Visa)

Documents required when applying for a Swiss Visa:

  • One Visa Application Form: including the personal information (link of the application 
  • Passport: Passport must be valid for at least 3 months after the intended date of departure from Switzerland.
  • Photo: Four photos were taken no older than 6 months.
  • A letter: Outlining why you chose Switzerland as your study abroad destination, and what your plans and interests are after completing the course. Make a commitment that you will leave Switzerland at the expiration of your Visa.
  • Curriculum Vitae: Includes 1 original and 1 copy
  • Letter of Acceptance from the School: After registering and completing the payment of the course fees at the Swiss schools, the school will send a letter confirming you have successfully registered and enrolled in the course. Include the course name, course duration, the amount you paid and the name of the school you attended.
  • Proof of study: Bring full original transcripts and diplomas of Middle School, High School and Bachelor’s degree if applicable. In addition, it is recommended to provide a foreign language certificate such as TOEFL or IELTS. Foreign language certificates such as German, Italian, and French are also accepted.
  • Financial proof: You must prove that you or your family are eligible to pay the expenses while living in Switzerland. By declaring bank assets within the last 3 months, bank accounts must have at least 70 CHF per day (equivalent to 1.730.385 VND).
  • Proof of visa fee paid: CHF 90 (approximately VND 2.224.781) for adults (over 12 years old) and CHF 45 (approximately VND 1.112.390) for children (aged 6 - 12 years old).